[PD] Slow cpu/RJDJ patching approach ...

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue May 26 15:34:51 CEST 2009

Hallo,
danomatika hat gesagt: // danomatika wrote:

> My point is, I wish pd didn't force me to work it's way but allow me to
> work my way.  That's the beauty of patching as opposed to vsts, etc.
> You have to build form the ground up.

Well, Pd is a programming language, and as with all language, you can say
things you'd have wished you didn't say or with programming: It easy to overload
any machine (bang until) with a programming language.

For working with GUIs there is a simple rule that applies to other areas as
well:

 Remove cruft!

This means, everything that updates a GUI object more that you screen refresh
rate is totally useless. Any GUI that you never see because it's hidden in some
abstraction is useless. Remove the useless GUIs, speedlimit the the needed ones
and your patch will run fast. It may even help to get used to a clean design
where you have your GUIs in separate patches from DSP or message stuff.

It doesn't matter if it's in a GOP or not. GOPs aren't slow per se,  it's just
that GOPs make it easier to build useless GUIs. Remove stuff that you won't
touch when performing.

Yes, Pd should handle this this automatically and more gracefully, but it
doesn't and it never did, so all that changed is probably your patching style.

Ciao
--
Frank