[PD] Slow cpu/RJDJ patching approach ...

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue May 26 16:30:24 CEST 2009

Hallo,
Chris McCormick hat gesagt: // Chris McCormick wrote:

> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 03:34:51PM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Hallo,
> > danomatika hat gesagt: // danomatika wrote:
> >
> > > My point is, I wish pd didn't force me to work it's way but allow me to
> > > work my way.  That's the beauty of patching as opposed to vsts, etc.
> > > You have to build form the ground up.
> >
> > Well, Pd is a programming language, and as with all language, you can say
> > things you'd have wished you didn't say or with programming: It easy to overload
> > any machine (bang until) with a programming language.
>
> I have to say that with most programming languages an infinite loop does not
> mean an X crash. Probably I should contribute code, not words (sorry).

I never had X crash with bang-until, so that's new to me. However a loop in an
audio language can be worse than in a "normal" programm, as software like Pd
often is run with higher priorities to get better latency performance. Of course
then an endless loop is a bit trickier to get out of. :(

Ciao
--
Frank