[PD] Slow cpu/RJDJ patching approach ...

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Tue May 26 18:06:39 CEST 2009

Am 26.05.2009 um 15:04 schrieb danomatika:
> My point is, I wish pd didn't force me to work it's way but allow me
> to work my way.  That's the beauty of patching as opposed to vsts,
> etc.  You have to build form the ground up.

i don't fully understand, why you feel forced to program in a certain
way. actually, pd gives you the freedom to go the route you prefer:
fancy-clicky-boonty or straight and efficient (or anything in between).
i guess, a common approach is to first define the goals and then chose
the programming style/software layout, that is most compliant with the
goals. in your case, the goal is pretty clear: performance. of course,
there are some contraints, when going that route, but _you_ decided,
that your goal is performance.

some things, that come to my mind, when thinking about optimizing
performance (additionally to what has been already said by frank b.):

- turn off the dsp for any unused subpatches/abstractions with
[switch~].

- don't do too many things in zero logical time. the lower the
latency, the more critical is this issue. try to avoid such situations
by serializing the tasks.

- avoid dynamic patching during performance. if you still need it,
first turn off dsp, create the necessary objects, turn dsp on again
(triggered by [t b b b]). don't do dynamic patching, while dsp is on
(this certainly applies to linux, but i guess not to pd on os x, since
only turning the dsp on uses too much time).

- be careful with any object, that might block pd. especially, this
applies to object classes, that send data to the extra-pd-world, such
as netsend, comport, (midiout?), etc.

yo, i guess, most of it doesn't really help optimizing performance in
terms of using less cpu cycles, but is about avoiding audio drop-outs.
however, this is not less an issue on a 500MHz machine.

cheers
roman