[PD] Slow cpu/RJDJ patching approach ...

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue May 26 19:00:07 CEST 2009

On May 26, 2009, at 10:23 AM, Chris McCormick wrote:

> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 03:34:51PM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>> Hallo,
>> danomatika hat gesagt: // danomatika wrote:
>>
>>> My point is, I wish pd didn't force me to work it's way but allow
>>> me to
>>> work my way.  That's the beauty of patching as opposed to vsts, etc.
>>> You have to build form the ground up.
>>
>> Well, Pd is a programming language, and as with all language, you
>> can say
>> things you'd have wished you didn't say or with programming: It
>> easy to overload
>> any machine (bang until) with a programming language.
>
> I have to say that with most programming languages an infinite loop
> does not
> mean an X crash. Probably I should contribute code, not words (sorry).

Just because Pd triggers an X crash does it mean that Pd is the cause
of it.  A similar example is when people complain that Pd blue screens
their windows box, as I have seen before.  That's generally because
some of the PC audio hardware and Windows drivers are so atrocious
that actually using them beyond playing back youtube videos causes
BSODs.

In other words, the cause of your X crash likely lies elsewhere.

.hc