[PD] MinGW/Windows work session - tomorrow, Tuesday 5/18

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue May 26 19:32:15 CEST 2009

On May 26, 2009, at 12:30 PM, august wrote:

>> after a brief look at glib's configure.ac, it looks to me like the
>> glib
>> -> pkg-config "dependency" isn't really one, and could be fixed by
>> some
>> judicious use of 'dnl' (m4 comment-ization) in glib/configure.ac.
>>
>>> Which binary did you use?  Is there an 'official' MinGW one?
>>
>> I second the question: august?
>>
>> for my own part, I didn't find a pkg-config binary from either
>> mingw or
>> gnuwin, so i used the binaries referenced on gtk.org:
>>
>> http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries/win32/dependencies/pkg-config-0.23-2.zip
>>

> this is where I got the glib and pkg-config
>
> 	http://www.gtk.org/download-windows.html
>

> I found that link  here:
>
> 	http://wiki.videolan.org/Win32CompileMSYSNew
>

> Might be other useful binaries there too.

I started out making the Pd MiNGW build system like this, a wiki
documenting how to install a bunch of things found all over the net,
but it ended up being a ton of work every time I needed to revisit it
(like when I wanted to setup the build env on a new machine).  That's
why I started the 'sources' section in SVN with the build scripts.

I am not saying that its the only way, I just think that if we are
going to use random binaries from the net, we need to have a good way
to manage them.  One way is to say that we only use binaries available
from very specific sources.

Another possible solution is to check in the products of pkg-config
into the SVN.  Normally, this would be a bad idea, but since the idea
here is to have a standard distribution where it is always built the
same way on each machine, auto-configuration isn't needed.  If
something isn't found but autoconf, etc, then that's a problem that
should be fixed before building.  Otherwise, that will change the setup.

Mistrust authority - promote decentralization.  - the hacker ethic