[PD] Slow cpu/RJDJ patching approach ...

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue May 26 19:52:30 CEST 2009

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Yeah, I agree that the communications are a big part of it.  Part of
> writing a custom GUI would be to write a simple communications to suit
> the needs at hand.
>
> But I think that the slowness in Pd's GUI is not even that much due to
> communications, but rather how the code is structured.  For example, if
> you move on element in an array, instead of issuing a single Tk 'move'
> command, Pd deletes the whole array, then recreates it.

this is (among other things) what i mean by "busted communication".

> And Dan, I also share your frustration with the common attitude on this
> list of "it is what it is".  That's why I am working on re-writing the
> Pd GUI from scratch in pure Tcl with the aim of making it use Tcl/Tk is
> a clean and sensible manner (aka Pd-devel 0.41.4).

oh, i thought you wanted miller to include the code of Pd-devel...seems
like you got off the track :-(

which is bad, because Pd could also benefit from small improvements on
the gui side quite a lot.
which is good, because it really needs to be done. my email was just a
rant on how bad things really are at the moment, and that i would like
to have them changed.
but which is really bad, as i think this is what desire-data originally
started as (and btw, i see much activity on desiredata in the last
days/weeks) and which basically forked away from Pd (certainly for
understandable reasons; but i always had the impression that the
reviving of Pd-devel was not intended as a fork)

fgamsdr
IOhannes