[PD] Slow cpu/RJDJ patching approach ...

danomatika danomatika at gmail.com
Tue May 26 20:13:21 CEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 13:05 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> And Dan, I also share your frustration with the common attitude on
> this list of "it is what it is".  That's why I am working on re-
> writing the Pd GUI from scratch in pure Tcl with the aim of making it
> use Tcl/Tk is a clean and sensible manner (aka Pd-devel 0.41.4).  I
> think you should join the project.  Instead of venting via email, vent
> via code.

Ok, where do I sign up?  As I said before, if anyone knows of any places

I can apply to in order to focus on it full time, I'm interested.  I
have known of your efforts
for a while, but I haven't wanted to commit a small amount of time, I'd
rather dive in head
first.  I don;t want to waste anyone's time telling them I can do this
and that knowing full
well I won't really end up doing anything.

> As for replacing Pd with SuperCollider or C/rtaudio, are you sure that
> those are any more efficient?  Pd does have its problems, but audio
> synthesis is pretty solid in Pd.  For example, reactable still uses Pd
> as its synth engine.

I totally agree, that's why I keep sticking with pd.  I can't imagine
being able to make anything
nearly as efficient as the pd dsp engine.  That being said, I wish it
wasn't being pummled by
the gui.  I very much like this idea of a libpd with the engine totally
separate.

---
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com