[PD] MinGW/Windows work session - tomorrow, Tuesday 5/18

august august at alien.mur.at
Tue May 26 20:37:57 CEST 2009

>> this is where I got the glib and pkg-config
>>
>> 	http://www.gtk.org/download-windows.html
>>

>> I found that link  here:
>>
>> 	http://wiki.videolan.org/Win32CompileMSYSNew
>>

>> Might be other useful binaries there too.
>
> I started out making the Pd MiNGW build system like this, a wiki
> documenting how to install a bunch of things found all over the net, but
> it ended up being a ton of work every time I needed to revisit it (like
> when I wanted to setup the build env on a new machine).  That's why I
> started the 'sources' section in SVN with the build scripts.
>
> I am not saying that its the only way, I just think that if we are going
> to use random binaries from the net, we need to have a good way to manage
> them.  One way is to say that we only use binaries available from very
> specific sources.
>
> Another possible solution is to check in the products of pkg-config into
> the SVN.  Normally, this would be a bad idea, but since the idea here is
> to have a standard distribution where it is always built the same way on
> each machine, auto-configuration isn't needed.  If something isn't found
> but autoconf, etc, then that's a problem that should be fixed before
> building.  Otherwise, that will change the setup.
>
> .hc

I know you have been doing this for a while and have your
reasons, but what I don't understand is if the "sources" are only for
windows?  Or are they for mac as well?  I know they can't and shouldn't
be for linux as these are all or mostly apt-get'able.

there are also a bunch of binaries we will need to build ffmpeg...such
as msys-core, a new bash,  a new make.   Then for gmerlin_avdec we will
need a new autoconf and automake.   I also notice that for x264 you
disable asm code.....couldn't we just download a binary for yasm and
enable that stuff?   Would be faster.

with all of this stuff around in different spots, I don't think we are
going to get a clean source compile on mingw for everything.   Wouldn't
it be better to just make a downloadable package for mingw with all the
binaries?  I mean, isn't it a windows thing to package binaries anyway?

once we get all the binaries in place, it would be a simple wget and
unzip command, no?

forgive my ignorance ....'cause I'm sure you have your reasons...I just
don't smell what you are spraying just yet .    Is the idea with the
"sources" just to get everything to compile from source?

thanks for your patience -august.