[PD] Slow cpu/RJDJ patching approach ...

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue May 26 20:38:45 CEST 2009

On May 26, 2009, at 2:13 PM, danomatika wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 13:05 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>

>> And Dan, I also share your frustration with the common attitude on
>> this list of "it is what it is".  That's why I am working on re-
>> writing the Pd GUI from scratch in pure Tcl with the aim of making it
>> use Tcl/Tk is a clean and sensible manner (aka Pd-devel 0.41.4).  I
>> think you should join the project.  Instead of venting via email,
>> vent
>> via code.
> Ok, where do I sign up?  As I said before, if anyone knows of any
> places
> I can apply to in order to focus on it full time, I'm interested.  I
> have known of your efforts
> for a while, but I haven't wanted to commit a small amount of time,
> I'd rather dive in head
> first.  I don;t want to waste anyone's time telling them I can do
> this and that knowing full
> well I won't really end up doing anything.

svn co http://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pure-data/branches/pd-devel/0.41.4
cd 0.41.4
./authgen.sh
./configure
make && ./pd

Get it running, check out the code, pick a part and write code.
Introduce yourself to pd-dev to get SVN access, if you don't have it
already.

>> As for replacing Pd with SuperCollider or C/rtaudio, are you sure
>> that
>> those are any more efficient?  Pd does have its problems, but audio
>> synthesis is pretty solid in Pd.  For example, reactable still uses
>> Pd
>> as its synth engine.
>
> I totally agree, that's why I keep sticking with pd.  I can't
> imagine being able to make anything
> nearly as efficient as the pd dsp engine.  That being said, I wish
> it wasn't being pummled by
> the gui.  I very much like this idea of a libpd with the engine
> totally separate.

Check out the next external scheduler support and pdvst and make this
happen.

All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies,
one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better
language; and every chapter must be so translated.... -John Donne