[PD] Slow cpu/RJDJ patching approach ...

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed May 27 08:43:05 CEST 2009

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On May 26, 2009, at 1:52 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>> Yeah, I agree that the communications are a big part of it.  Part of
>>> writing a custom GUI would be to write a simple communications to
>>> suit the needs at hand.
>>> But I think that the slowness in Pd's GUI is not even that much due
>>> to communications, but rather how the code is structured.  For
>>> example, if you move on element in an array, instead of issuing a
>>> single Tk 'move' command, Pd deletes the whole array, then recreates it.
>>
>> this is (among other things) what i mean by "busted communication".
>>
>>> And Dan, I also share your frustration with the common attitude on
>>> this list of "it is what it is".  That's why I am working on
>>> re-writing the Pd GUI from scratch in pure Tcl with the aim of making
>>> it use Tcl/Tk is a clean and sensible manner (aka Pd-devel 0.41.4).
>>
>> oh, i thought you wanted miller to include the code of
>> Pd-devel...seems like you got off the track :-(
>
> Um, how is this mutually exclusive?  My motivation in working on
> pd-devel is unchanged.

it is mutually exclusive by what miller has said on this topic.
i wish it wasn't

>  From what I gather, Miller is more or less game for including that
> work.

[...]
> In particular, I want to structure the code around the idea of a
> communications API that uses Pd messages for both directions.  For now,
> it will use the existing pd<-->pd-gui API, then the next step would be
> working on the C side of things once Miller has included it.

as far as i understand it, miller has stated several times explicitely
that he is fine with re-structuring the tcl/tk code.
however (and this is the crucial part), he is not going to accept any
substantial changes to the C-part of it.
hopefully this will change.

if i had more time, i would have started this myself several times...

fmasdr
IOhannes