[PD] Slow cpu/RJDJ patching approach ...

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed May 27 17:29:38 CEST 2009

On May 27, 2009, at 2:43 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>>
>>> this is (among other things) what i mean by "busted communication".

>>> oh, i thought you wanted miller to include the code of Pd-
>>> devel...seems like you got off the track :-(
>> Um, how is this mutually exclusive?  My motivation in working on pd-
>> devel is unchanged.
>
> it is mutually exclusive by what miller has said on this topic.
> i wish it wasn't
>
>> From what I gather, Miller is more or less game for including that
>> work.
>
> [...]
>> In particular, I want to structure the code around the idea of a
>> communications API that uses Pd messages for both directions.  For
>> now, it will use the existing pd<-->pd-gui API, then the next step
>> would be working on the C side of things once Miller has included it.
>
> as far as i understand it, miller has stated several times
> explicitely that he is fine with re-structuring the tcl/tk code.
> however (and this is the crucial part), he is not going to accept
> any substantial changes to the C-part of it.
> hopefully this will change.
>

> if i had more time, i would have started this myself several times...

I think you are crying wolf here (or rather crying "fork"), and I
don't see any reason why.  The idea of this pd-devel effort has not
changed, from what Miller's told me, the work is acceptable to him.
And the code is being structured to use Tcl/Tk better.  I am hoping
for more submissions from people who know Tcl/Tk better to go in that
direction.  I am also hoping to lay the groundwork for the C-side
changes which will come later.

Information wants to be free.    -Stewart Brand