[PD] webcam problem in Gem with Ubuntu Intrepid/Pd-extended 0.41.4-rc3

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu May 28 11:30:46 CEST 2009

Fränk Zimmer wrote:
> Hm. Taking the pix_video-help patch:  I can switch from driver 0 to
> driver 1 by sending a message to pix_video.
> How do I switch to the V4L2 driver ?

when instantiating the first [pix_video] object, you should see (on the
pd-console) a list of available drivers.
e.g. here i see:
video driver 0: video4linux2
video driver 1: video4linux
video driver 2: ieee1394 for linux

if you don't have a line with "video4linux2", then you don't have v4l2
support compiled into your version of Gem.

in this case you have to possibilities, both of them include using
libv4l (apt-get install libv4l-dev)

- compile yourself a recent verson of Gem (after installing libv4l); it
should autodetect everything for you

- libv4l also supports a wrapper (read the README of libv4l) to bring
it's functionality to applications compiled without it. just do
% export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so
% pd -lib Gem

in the latter case, Gemwill still use v4l1 ("video4linux"), but the
wrapper should transparently translate this to v4l2

tell us whether this works.

mfgasdr
IOhannes