[PD] pd-extended 0.41.4 jack autoconnect issues

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico.bukvic at gmail.com
Fri May 29 03:11:20 CEST 2009

It appears I figured it out (Jaunty with 0.41.4 extended). Namely, in the
s_audio_jack.c on the line 156 it states:

            if( strcmp( "alsa_pcm", tmp_client_name ) == 0 && num_clients >
0 )
            {
              char* tmp;
                /* alsa_pcm goes in spot 0 */
              tmp = jack_client_names[ num_clients ];
              jack_client_names[ num_clients ] = jack_client_names[0];
              jack_client_names[0] = tmp;
              strcpy( jack_client_names[0], tmp_client_name);
            }
            else
            {
                /* put the new client at the end of the client list */
                strcpy( jack_client_names[ num_clients ], tmp_client_name );
            }
            num_clients++;

This code snippet apparently puts alsa_pcm in the first spot for jack to
connect to. However on Jaunty jackd (v.0.116.1) the default i/o names are
"system" rather than "alsa_pcm" (or is this qjackctl's thing?). Apparently
"alsa_pcm" name is used for MIDI connections instead, so the error I get on
my machine is:

cannot connect input ports alsa_pcm:Midi-Through/midi_capture_1 ->
pure_data_0:input0
cannot connect output ports pure_data_0:output0 ->
alsa_pcm:Midi-Through/midi_playback_1

So, it seems to me jack tries to connect to alsa_pcm and fails because those
are MIDI devices. Everything starts ok, and jack audio ports are created but
there are no autoconnections even if I enter -inchannels and -outchannels
flags.

Once I changed line 156 to:

            if( strcmp( "system", tmp_client_name ) == 0 && num_clients > 0
)
            //change alsa_pcm to system

Everything works fine (as it used to) and Pd autoconnects. No midi devices
are created however on the MIDI tab of the qjackctl, but obviously if I
specify -alsamidi option, then I do get them on the ALSA Midi tab.

So my questions are as follows:

1) Is renaming of the default jack system i/o from "alsa_pcm" to "system"
change in jackd, or is this one of the Jaunty peculiarities?
2) what is this MIDI tab vs. ALSA Midi tab on the qjackctl? Is this MIDI
synced to jackd? If so, how does one create MIDI ports in Pd inside this
domain and what other apps can do this at this point in time?

Any insight in these questions is most appreciated!

Best wishes,

Ico