[PD] selecting the correct alsa soundcard via commandline ...

danomatika danomatika at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 01:04:59 CEST 2009

Does anyone know of an easy way to get the correct audiodev # for a
specific soundcard?  I am using an embedded environment and I need to
start pd with the correct device in a situation where different devices
may/may not be used.  In this case, the audiodev # may change.

It's annoying that I can't run -alsa -listdev and parse the stdout since
I can't seem to pipe it anywhere.  Too bad -listdev doesn't print and
exit, because I could then search for the line containing the name of my
sound card and grab the number from it.  This is what I do with aconnect
to wait until pd's midi is ready before connecting midi to it. (it's a
slow machine)

I read on some old posts about the "-alsadev" switch, but this was taken
out?  At least in jack I can use the alsa name to avoid this issue ala
"-d hw:UA25".  Of course with the update to Jaunty, now jack seems to be
flakier then before, so I'm trying to use pd -rt directly.

---
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com
robotcowboy.com