[PD] Revising Help Files

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 13 03:25:35 CEST 2009

--- On Fri, 6/12/09, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:

> From: Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>
> Subject: Re: Revising Help Files
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> Cc: pd-list at iem.at
> Date: Friday, June 12, 2009, 7:45 PM
>
> On Jun 12, 2009, at 4:50 AM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
>

> > Ok, a couple things:
> > 1. pddplink gives a big error when loading your
> template:
> > wrong # args: should be "::pddp::srvUse ?root?
> ?port?"
> > wrong # args: should be "::pddp::srvUse ?root?
> ?port?"
> >    while executing
> > "::pddp::srvUse D:/Documents and
> Settings/dude/Desktop"
> >    ("after" script)
> >
> > It still shows up in the patch (and seems to
> work).  I'm on
> > windows xp.
>
> bugs bugs bugs... keep on coming up... yeah, that should be
> fixed... I
> think its only on Windows.

I propose getting rid of it in the template.  Even when it works,
it points to pages that just duplicate the info from the help-
patch the user would already be looking at, but without the
benefit of example patches, context, or intelligibility.  Unless
it's pointing to old pages or something, but I googled pdpedia,
looked up "float", and it's the same page.

> > 2. Is there an object that outputs the methods
> > of objects?  It would be nice to automatically
> generate info for
> > inlets/outlets/arguments rather than type it in by
> hand.
>
> This is the kind of stuff that IOhannes is working on in
> the iemguts
> lib, check that to see if it is possible.
>
> > 3. Is absattr a normal part of pd-ext?  I seem to
> remember using it
> > previously for something, but it's not in the most
> current release.
> > In any case, I went ahead and tried to make my keys
> and values
> > compatible with absattr.
>
> No, its part of Thomas Grill's flext externals, which are
> maintained
> in a separate SVN and he releases his own binaries.
>
> I think that absattr is not a Pd-ish way of working, Pd has
> no
> 'attributes' like Max/MSP.  I think the documentation
> should be as Pd-
> ish as possible.
>
> > 4. Is there a place somewhere on puredata.info where
> there's
> > a discussion I can read about why each
> inlet/outlet/argument needs
> > a description?
>
> Hmm, definitely somewhere, donno exactly where.  I
> remember it seeming
> obvious, plus we were following the precedent of the Gem
> docs.

Hm, I have another view, but I'm running into a wall with my
current attempts at a solution, so I'll just barrel through using
the pddp template and see how far I get.

> > 5. Is there a limit to the number of arguments an
> abstraction may
> > have?
>
> Hmm, I think 10 but I could be wrong.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's more than that.  I'm using about up to
30 in pd-ext without any noticeable side effects.

What is pd guts for in the template?

-Jonathan