[PD] Revising Help Files

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Jun 18 19:28:33 CEST 2009

On Jun 17, 2009, at 11:47 PM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> Ok, a couple of questions before I get deeper into the revisions:
>
> 1. Should help patches be tailored for font sizes other than 10?
> It might be feasible to do this for size 12 fonts, but it will make
> patches look worse at size 10.  For example, to accommodate 12pt
> fonts, paragraphs and comments to the right of objects will have to
> be given more padding, which looks awkward at 10pts.  If there's no
> padding, objects and paragraphs will collide when you try to
> enlarge the fonts.

So far, 10 points has been the standard for a while.  It seems like a
lot of work to change it with only a minor benefit, IMHO.

> 2.  The "description:" comment isn't long enough for some of the
> descriptions, which I think are already reasonably short (e.g.,
> czero_rev~).  It would fit without the word "description", but I'm
> guessing this would cause problems for the future search
> functionality that's been discussed.  Any ideas?  I could just
> duplicate the description in the pd-meta subpatch but that's kind
> of awkward.

Hmm, can't think of a simple fix for that.  On one hand, having the
word "Description" on the header is cumbersome looking, on the other,
its easily parsible.  I say it would be good to remove the word
"description", then it can still be reasonably parsed by using the x,y
location.

Mistrust authority - promote decentralization.  - the hacker ethic