[PD] readsf~ jack/alsa memory usage

Jason Plumb jason at noisybox.net
Sun Jun 21 02:32:45 CEST 2009

I'm working on a project with considerable sampling resources and
noticing a HUGE difference in memory consumption of readsf~ between alsa
and jack.

If I create a default readsf~ with alsa and don't send it any messages,
it seems to take up little to no memory.  Sending it an open message
also seems to use little/no memory, same with starting playback (maybe
under 1 MB approx).

With jack, a default readsf~ seems to take up about 8MB per instance.
Manually specifying numbers larger than 8MB for the buffer seem to work,
but anything smaller seems to be rounded up to 8MB.

What gives?  Why can't I provide a smaller buffer?  Why the dramatic
difference in memory performance?

-jason
http://noisybox.net