[PD] portaudio compatibility with some ASIO drivers (Windows only)

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Wed Jul 1 18:13:51 CEST 2009

> - the RME ASIO driver simply doesn't work, and nobody actually knows why...
> However some people report to get ultra-low latencies (3ms) with the MMIO
> drivers. Moreover, even with the MMIO driver they can use the multi-channel
> capability of the RME only when set at 48000 Hz (but this is another
> story...). I will ask RME directly about these issues.

I can say that i've never had problems with the RME drivers,
especially ASIO with various applications.
If there are problems i suspect them to be related to some old
portaudio code used in Pure Data.
Up-to-date portaudio versions work flawlessly with RME drivers.
Concerning MMIO i can hardly imagine how people can reach low
latencies with it, given the architecture of this interface.

gr~~~