[PD] help_random/seed

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Jul 3 19:16:17 CEST 2009

Hallo,
cem guney hat gesagt: // cem guney wrote:

> just started studying PD. going through the control examples i've been
> stuck trying to figure out the function of the message, seed 123 in the
> example for "random".
>
> not sure if i figured out the explanation below,
>
> Seeds are kept locally so that if two Randoms are seeded the same they
> will have the same output (or indeed you can seed the same one twice to repeat the output.)

Yes, that's true, you understood correctly.

Oh, wait, that's what's in the help-file! What exactly is cloudy there?

If you send a "seed 123" to [random], then on my machine the next random
numbers are "3 1 4 0 ..." If I send "seed 123" again, it starts again with "3 1
4 0 ..." If I send "seed 120128", I get "0 1 0 2 2 ..." instead each time
afterwards.

Ciao
--
Frank