[PD] help_random/seed

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jul 6 09:26:16 CEST 2009

Andrew Faraday wrote:

> Just an idea, but if the hardware random number generators use a jittery oscillator etc. Why not use [noise~] and [snapshot~] followed by some arithmetic and [int] you could build what I assume would be more random than the [random] box.

weird idea.
especially, since [noise~] uses exactly the same pseudo-random algorithm
as [snapshot~].

now normal pseudo-random-number algorithms calculate integer
pseudo-random numbers. (just like [random].
[noise~] has added a bit of extra work to convert this integer into a
nice floating-point value.
of course you could add some extra work to convert this float into an
int again :-)

fgamrd
IOhannes