[PD] help_random/seed

Andrew Faraday jbturgid at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 6 12:13:09 CEST 2009

I'm fairly sure that [snapshot~] doesn't generate random numbers, but marks the current point of an audio signal. Although this whole thing's got me thinking...
If you use [snapshot~], attached to a real world sound source [adc~] to generate random numbers, then increasing volume would increase the range of your random generation. For instance
[adc~]|[snapshot~] (plus a bang)|[+ 1]|[* 10]|[int]

In this case a sound source at a solid 1 - -1 volume (such as [osc~]) would give you a number from 0 to 20, when the bang is sent.
but a quieter sound source e.g. 0.2 - -0.2 would provide a number from 0 - 4

Anyone fault my logic?