[PD] Sysex out problems (linux only)

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 02:23:00 CEST 2009

2009/7/8 Alex <x37v.alex at gmail.com>

> > - sysex gets fragmented (also when nothing is sent out meanwhile by other
> > objects). It is always properly terminated with '247' but the content is
> > often truncated. Is this a bug/feature...? What is your best
> recommendation
> > knowing that my patch is full of sysex outs (+envelopes on some of them!)
> > - sysex just magically does not work on the target machine ;o) I have no
> > clue why except for this thing with being truncated but it *never* works
> > even if the message seems to go out intact. Even more interesting that
> the
> > machine shows me that it is recieving sysex! Tried with the mpu-401 of an
> > Audigy and with a MOTU 828 mkII through Jack and a2jmidid (jack-alsa midi
> > bridge).

I haven't actually tested sysex out limits, but sysex in is limited to
> something like 24 byte messages..
>
> here is a thread where i talk about it:
> http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2009-01/067372.html
>
> It is hard coded into the source. You can modify the source to change
> the hard coded limit.. i have a diff on that thread which shows how i
> did it.

Thanks Alex, it's an important thing to know.
My sysex is shorter than 24B it's just broken.
What we shall see repeating is 240 67 16 73 8 16 19 (knobvalue) 247

Instead I'm having this grinded mess coming back on physical loopback:

print: 240
print: 67
print: 16
print: 247
print: 240
print: 67
print: 247
print: 240
print: 67
print: 16
print: 247
print: 240
print: 67
print: 16
print: 73
print: 247
print: 240
print: 67
print: 16
print: 73
print: 8
print: 247
print: 240
print: 67
print: 16
print: 73
print: 247
print: 240
print: 67
print: 16
print: 247
print: 240
print: 67
print: 16
print: 247
print: 240
print: 67
print: 16
print: 73
print: 8
print: 247
print: 240
print: 67
print: 16
print: 247
print: 240
print: 67
print: 16
print: 73
print: 247
print: 240
print: 67
print: 16
print: 73
print: 247
print: 240
print: 67
print: 16
print: 73
print: 247

This makes me think I'm trying to send too much data in too short
intervals...? Is there a handy way to limit the density of my output? (i
think its not not [drip] as it has to stay realtime)
I'm not very experienced, sorry if this traces back to something very
obvious!

--
Muranyi Andras