[PD] midi to osc?

Josh Lawrence hardbop200 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 19:45:00 CEST 2009

Hi everyone,

I've been considering the idea of playing around with livenoisetools:

http://www.pawfal.org/Software/livenoisetools/

...just for fun.  One of the problems I've come across is how to play
"it".  The software is written to receive nothing but osc messages.
For example, the synthesizer, itchy, needs this to play a note (from
the doc):

/play iiiffffi [timeseconds timefrac ID frequency slidefreq volume pan message]
Plays a note at the given time (in ntp format), on the given instrument with
the given parameters. if the time is set to 0,0 it will ignore the time and
play the note asap. The message parameter is interpreted as a char and if set
to a "O" will cause an accent note to be triggered. this will be replaced by
something more sane soon :) The slidefrequency gives a frequency to start
sliding to (speed is defined by instrument modify commands for voices that
support it).

I'm wondering if it would be possible to use pd as a bridge between my
midi keyboard and this software, i.e. I play a middle C and the
correct messages would be translated to the software.

Is this possible in pd?  (Currently I have access to vanilla...)  If
so, can you point me to which objects I need to be looking for?

If this isn't possible, do you have any suggestions as to a better
method for doing this?

I appreciate the help,

Josh
--