[PD] midi to osc?

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Jul 9 21:58:57 CEST 2009

Derek Holzer wrote:
> Hi again,

hi

thanks for the plentiful use of ;-) to peace my mind...

> IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
>
>> and how do you notice that it is split into 2 "different" libs in PdX?
>
> My mistake, I thought there was a mrpeach net lib and a mrpeach osc lib.

which in fact they should be.
i would say it is a bug that they are both in a "mrpeach" library (i
guess most people won't care whether martin has written them or whoelse;
but they might like to have osc-related or net-related objects)

>>> Couldn't these objects be wrapped to give the same name as the
>>> standard OSC objects,
>>
>> ähm, what is the "standard OSC objects".
>
> The ones people have used for a very long time in Pd (for me since
> 2002), which are loaded by default in Pd Extended

if i understand hans correctly, he is planning to remove all the "loaded
by default" anyhow (which i think is not a bad thing).

>> when using oscx, you are using a library: so either Path or [import]
>> (or better [declare]) have to be discussed first.
>> so what's the difference to mrpeach's libs?
>
> As I mentioned, they are not available by default.... which is the
> reason I brought this point up. I'm not trying to convince anyone to use
> outdated software, but I am interested in why it would get replaced in a
> non-compatible and slightly more complicated way.

actually they _are_ available by default in pd-extended:
[mrpeach/packOSC] and [mrpeach/udpsend] will just create
(not that i very much like this the way it is; i would so much prefer
[osc/packOSC] and [net/udpsend])

no need to know anything about libraries, paths, loading-by-default, and
what-not.

>> however, indeed you have to use 2 objects instead of just 1. big fat
>> bummer!
>
> Yes it is, since it will take twice as long to explain how to use this
> system in the Pd FLOSS Manual. And that even leaves aside the fact that
> import, declare or whatever will also have to be explained in-line. See
> how complicated it gets? ;-)

at least i think that when people are reading the tutorial they should
have an idea about how to connect 2 objects, and how to interact with
these objects independently.

as for libraries see my remark above
alternatively: i guess the tutorials are not self-contained (e.g. you
can expect the user to already having read the other tutorial where they
are tought to connect objects), so you can also schedule the "library

> Now can anyone tell me why the original oscx stuff can't just be
> transparently replaced?

it's easy (apart from the crashes).
it's about creating an abstraction out of about 5 objects and 2
message-boxes. i leave this as an exercise for the adept user.

> Or that at least the mrpeach stuff could be
> included in the startup of Pd Extended at least? This would make
> teaching/documenting the "new way" of OSC a hell of a lot easier!!!!

or at least remove oscx from the startup. this would make teaching the
"old way" less preferable :-)

fgmasdr
IOhannes