[PD] curly braces { } in pd ?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Jul 10 12:09:27 CEST 2009

glerm soares wrote:
> hello
>
> I am trying to write a message in pd with a curly braces {  } to build some
> lilypond syntax but
> I got the message " keycode 123: dropped"
>
> and the { don't print..

unfortunately Pd's quoting mechanism is somewhat broken, therefore you
basically cannot use any curly braces.
(for user input, Pd tries to prevent you from entering these illglyphs,
thus you get the "keycode 123: dropped" message; however, using other
techniques like [makefilename] or [bytes2any] you can bypass this safety
net)

> if I try to convert byte to string with [bytes2any] pd freezes...

i guess this is not quite true.
[bytes2any] should work just fine, only if you try to display the result
in one or any way, the pd-gui will freeze.

fmgasrd
IOhannes