[PD] why do [bp~] and [vcf~] sound different?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Jul 15 22:03:42 CEST 2009

Hallo,
Ichabod hat gesagt: // Ichabod wrote:

> So basically what I want to know is: if I have a vcf~ with a given q and
> constant center frequency, is there a way to replace it more cheaply?

I don't fully grok the method used in vcf~, but if you want to have
consistent filters with reproducable algorithms, you could build filters with
the elementary filter objects provided in Pd, i.e.  rzero~, rpole~, czero~ and
cpole~ or biquad~. Then the filter program is in the diagram.

Common methods to design filters are the Filter-EQ-Cookbok and J.O. Smith's
filter/dsp website. The rj-library http://trac.rjdj.me/wiki/RjLibnew includes
some helpers for this.

Ciao
--