[PD] image sonification pointers

Shawn Greenlee seg at 02909.com
Thu Jul 16 20:10:55 CEST 2009

hey there.  forgive me a bit as I acclimate (long time MaxMSP user
working in Pd).

In Max (Jitter) I've built a lot around jit.peek~
Often this involves reading a one plane matrix at points specified by
two signal inputs.  The matrix is a still image or video.  One input
signal species which row, the other input signal specifies which
column and out comes an appropriate signal value.

I see that in GEM there are pix_pix2sigs~  and pix_sig2pix~ which on
first glance look promising.

So:

1.  Any pointers out there for treating image as sound in Pd,
specifically looking at sonification (not visualization or
simultaneous audio-visual synthesis)?

2.  Any uses of pix_pix2sig~   or pix_sig2pix~ which I should look at
beyond the help files?

3.  Any strategies for treating each column of an image as an array
(i. e. the array contents update based on which column of an image is
loaded)?

4.  Do I need something else beyond the current Pd-extended (like
GridFlow)?

Thanks! and all best,
shawn

http://shawngreenlee.com