[PD] pd for linux

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Jul 19 12:53:07 CEST 2009

Alexandros Droseltis wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I discovered pd yesterday (0.42.3-0.pm.1 for openSuSE) and I am amazed!
> I created some small "mini installations" by playing with it and reading
> the very nice tutorial at pd-tutorial.com and the doc that comes with
> it. Unfortunately when I tried to use [expr] it took me 2 hours to find
> out by experimenting, that in order to use it I have to start pd as
>
> pd -lib /complete/path/to/expr~

usually you don't have to: the binary for [expr] (expr.pd_linux) lives
in /usr/lib/pd/extra/ (being a link to
/usr/lib/pd/extra/expr~/expr.pd_linux)

if it doesn't work out of the box, your installation is somehow broken.
did you install it yourself or did you use a package?
which filesystem is Pd installed on?

> It was neither mentioned in the tutorial, nor in the doc that comes with
> it, nor anywhere else (where I searched). Are there any environment
> variables for these paths? Could you point out a URL to me that covers
> these basics? I would be grateful!

look at the doc/1.manual/
look at http://puredata.info/
ask on this list :-)