[PD] d_fat extension ???

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Jul 19 13:05:03 CEST 2009

Andres Ferrari wrote:
> hello,
>

> is d_fat a new extension for externals in OSX?
> how works?

"d" is for darwin, "fat" is for universal binaries.
there are alternative extensions like "d_ppc" (guess what).

it's just an filename-extension, otherwise it is identical to the old
extensions (but it is useful if you want to have several architecture
binaries living side-by-side)

> I have pd extended 0.40.3 on OSX intel 10.5.5, but no objects with this extension works in my system.

what is the exact error message?
is it not able to find the files or can it not dlopen them? (use "-verbose")
iirc, hans has expressed his dislike of .d_fat in favour of .pd_darwin,
but i don't think he would have actively removed support for .d_fat.

however, if this _is_ the problem, just renaming .d_fat to .pd_darwin
should fix it (and bugger hans to remain compatible with pd-vanilla :-))
(i'm pretty sure that on 0.40 you already should have support for .d_fat)

if it finds the file but cannot dlopen, then the file is probably NOT a
fat binary (despite it's name) and rather compiled for a wrong architecture.

fgmasdr
IOhannes