[PD] Mixing ie how best to use the IN and OUT clip meters?

danomatika danomatika at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 18:10:53 CEST 2009

Howdy all,

I've been having a fight with myself on how to best mix within pd. I'm
constantly going back and forth between:

     1. Keep everything and a lower relative so that the OUT never goes
        above 100 and the CLIP box never goes red.
     2. Follow my ears and make it sound good, ignore the OUT
        box/button.

In practice, following #2 yields much better sounding recordings, at
least to me.  I'm definitely not clipping as there are not aliasing/digi
distortion going on.  Viewing the file in Audacity mere shows the drums
to be the culprit, but as they are so fast, I cant actually hear any
clip.

Generally, following #1 gives me good sounding mixes, but at way too low
of a volume.

How do you guys approach doing this?  I notice the IN and OUT meters are
off by default ..., but I assume that's due to performance reasons. :D

I mix everything through separate channels with [vu~]'s using [throw~]
and [catch~] objects which are eventually combined into a left and right
channel which are sent to the [dac~]. Does anyone have any other tricks
such as using scopes etc to help?

Alos, I keep setting the drums too loud over and over again. Yves, how
do I properly use [compressor~], does [compressor~ 1] have it output at
1.0 or what?  I know it works but I don't really understand the -1 to 5
range.  Does anyone have any good, fast tricks in pd for good sounding
drum compression?

---
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com