[PD] Problems with DIO errors / audio clicking

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 29 00:47:17 CEST 2009

James Dunn wrote:
> I'm having problems with DIO errors and glitchy audio with PD-extended
> 0.41.4
> My computer is an HP Compaq nc6000 1.6Ghz laptop with 500mb RAM and I'm
> running Ubuntu 9.04.
> The kernel is 2.6.28-13-generic and I've tried using the realtime kernel
> which is 2.6.28-3-rt but it's no different. I've tried editing
> /etc/security/limits.conf to include the lines:
>
> @audio - rtprio 99
> @audio - nice -19
> @audio - memlock unlimited
>
> but this hasn't helped either.
>
> I start jack with qjackctl and my settings are:
>
> Realtime, No Memory Lock, Frames/Periods: 1024 sample rate 44100,
> Periods/Buffer: 2,.
>
> Can anyone help?

Check if you have some kind of CPU frequency scaling going on. Ubuntu
seems to install one by default. I found that when I force the machine
to run at full speed all the time I get no more glitches (well the gui
causes dropouts sometimes. I often minimize all the windows and switch
to an empty desktop to be safe.)

Martin