[PD] numerical constraints (scaling)

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Sat Aug 1 18:43:56 CEST 2009

Hi JBeez,

We could interpret this in two ways. A hard constraint is applied by
using [moses] [max], [min] or [clip] so that numbers outside the
desired bounds are simply discarded, or clamped to the boundry.
Look that one up in the help files if it's what you want.

On the other hand, I think you really mean to rescale the numbers
so that all of them fit between your new bounds.

Changing a range requires a linear scale function. There
is one called [scale].

But, instead of just using a ready made abstraction maybe it's
a good idea to understand the simple principle of changing the
slope and origin of a line.

If your original bounds are 800 and 19000 then the magnitude
of the range, the interval, is 19000 - 800 = 18200

The origin of the interval is 800, which is the lowest
number you can have.

The first thing to do is 'reset the origin' so that all
your numbers have a lowest value starting at zero, so
to do that subtract 800.

Then scale the line to cover the magnitude of your new interval,
which is 800 - 400 = 400

To map 18200 to 400 divide them to get 400/18200 = 0.021987

Now scale the numbers by that factor

Finally add the bottom offset, your new origin, by adding
the lowest value of the new range which is 400

So the complete scale function is now

((x - 800) * 0.021987) + 400

(see attached patch)

a.