[PD] bug???!?!?

Ed Kelly morph_2016 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 9 16:53:56 CEST 2009

> I have suspected [envrms~] of wrecking the performance of
> my patches before (on a PowerBook G4).  I was never
> quite sure if it was really [envrms~]'s fault until I
> discovered [unsig~ #] and never went back.  [unsig~]
> will do what [envrms~] does, but also allows you to set the
> sample time in milliseconds.  I wonder if anyone else
> has had [envrms~] audio freezes.

Very interesting. But [envrms~] makes the patch work, rather than breaking it in this case. If you look inside the two [clinok_x~] units you'll see that the noise/filter section of the synthesizer on the left _without_ [envrms~] connected does not work!
[envrms~] is only connected "sideways" in fact - it does not play a part in the realisation of any signal or control parameter in this synth, so why it should cause the patch to work is quit baffling. It is as though [envrms~] is acting as a valve on the outlet of the [clip~] object, like siphoning petrol from an engine by sucking on a pipe.