[PD] Puredata for Nintendo DS

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Mon Aug 10 15:35:04 CEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 03:00:48PM +0200, Nicolas Montgermont wrote:
> To start there is this app from chris Mccormix that allows you to
> control pd patches from your ds:
> http://mccormick.cx/projects/KnobsAndSlidersDS/
> I don't know if it's maintained though.

It is not very maintained! That said, I don't know about any bugs, and I don't
really have any features I want to add to it.

I had a couple of shots at porting PDa to NDS but kind of always got blocked
and lost interest. There are two choices:

* Port PDa to DSLinux.
* Port PDa straight to code running out of a rom, like a homebrew game does.

DSLinux probably incurs too much overhead to run Pd well. It's already quite
slow and I think sticking PDa in there would really make it sad in the CPU
department. The bare-to-the-metal approach of running it as a rom is more
difficult though because Pd and PDa assume a bunch of OS facilities are
available (dlopen etc.) which they aren't when you make NDS roms.

Porting tcl/tk is probably out of the question, unless there is some embedded
port of tcl/tk and even then I think you'd be really pushing it. So I think
you'd have to roll your own GUI system like I did for Gp2xPd.

Best,

Chris.