[PD] Pd Manual

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Aug 10 23:52:01 CEST 2009

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> Second of all, the next paragraph talks about infinite loops; [trigger]
> isn't addressed until the following section, momentarily making it seem
> as if "the order you made the connections in" is an feature of the
> language that is somehow analogous to Max's right-to-left sorting.

Furthermore, I'd say it should be introduced as [t a a], [t f b], etc.,
right away. It shouldn't give the impression that properly ordering things
in pd is something cumbersome that eats away half the width of the patch
(or all of it).

> The fact that Pd executes in the order the connections were made only
> makes sense in light of the explicit use of [trigger].  Even if Pd
> rolled some virtual dice to determine execution order when multiple
> connections are coming from a single object, most of our patches would
> work the same because we all use [trigger] explicitly in Pd, right?

It's not just that, it's that sometimes, the order just doesn't matter at
all.