[PD] Help Docs: element vs. item

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Aug 12 09:36:14 CEST 2009

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Aug 10, 2009, at 12:05 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>>
>> I wouldn't quite advocate using the PdDefinitions as they are now.
>
> The idea of that section of the PdDefintions wiki is to collect all bits
> of text that contribute to the definition of what  is a
> symbol/float/atom/etc.  That's why there are many bits. If there is
> anything missing please add it.

while the PdDefinitions wiki is definitely a good start, in it's current
state it probably adds more shadow than light here (mainly because of
quotes without context)
i guess matju was referring to that.
(this doesn't mean that one shouldn't go and add/fix/improve it)

> Well, this defintion comes from the "object boxes" section, not message
> boxes or messages.  There is no discussion of messages in the section
> where that is defined.  But that's a minor detail.

> http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/Pd_documentation/x2.htm#s1.2

yes, that's the problem with the missing context.

an atom is agnostic of whether it appears in a message or an object.

saying that an atom either a number or a symbol is just wrong (even if
miller himself seems to indicate this in
http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/Pd_documentation/x2.htm#s3.1 )

fmgasdr
IOhannes´