[PD] Help Docs: element vs. item

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Aug 12 22:20:27 CEST 2009

On Sun, 9 Aug 2009, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> Other than the help patch for [list], the term "selector" hasn't come up
> much because each inlet/outlet just has a list of accepted messages and
> a description.

Actually, "selector" would be the most sensible column name for the column
that lists "the accepted messages"...

> The word "selector" appears mainly where the presence or absence of a
> selector could easily lead to confusion- in a subpatch in print-help.pd,
> route-help.pd, and probably for [symbol] and [list]

right.

> Unlike the word "message" (or the word "word"), I think "selector"
> requires a definition when it is used, or at least a reference to the
> manual where it is explained in detail.

"message" also "requires" a definition as much as anything else, but in
the Pd world, there's a greater tendency to let the people just guess what
something is and figure out just as much as they need to know... if they
can figure it out (which may be somewhat more difficult to do than to
believe to have figured it out).