[PD] Help with pdj

sisil mehta sisilmet2000 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 17:56:03 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 8:46 PM, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Aug 2009, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
>  i saw a tutorial on using mxj.
>>> This is what i want to do:  get data from PD and send it to another java
>>> application which is waiting in the background. Is this possible using
>>> mxj/pdj ?
>>>
>> It's possible even without pdj: Just use a network connection to send the
>> data
>> along.  Either make one up with netsend in Pd and some socket programming
>> in
>> Java, or use the OSC standard, where you might even find some ready made
>> Java
>> libraries.
>>

> The big difference is whether you want your java app to insert itself in
> the message stack or not: if you use pdj, your java app can send messages
> before the message to pdj is considered done with. This is depth-first
> execution. But if you have a [netsend] to talk to a java app and a
> [netreceive] to receive the replies, ... a [netsend]/[netreceive] pair
> counts as a kind of [delay] of some unspecified amount.

i  didnt get this part:::-->

> thus the messages to [netsend] are considered dealt with much before the
> app really does anything with them.
>
> So if you really need depth-first execution order, you have to use pdj.

i think you guys will be best to judge if i explain my application: I have
to run pd+gridflow and then run the program multiblob-for-gridflow. then
take the data(centres of the crosses obtained, extent of blob and other
data) to a java application(whose purpose is to collect this data from pd .)
The java app is on teh same machine, so how do i use [netsend]?

thnks for your time,
Sisil.