[PD] Help with pdj

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Aug 15 18:03:26 CEST 2009

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009, sisil mehta wrote:

>> The big difference is whether you want your java app to insert itself in
>> the message stack or not: if you use pdj, your java app can send messages
>> before the message to pdj is considered done with. This is depth-first
>> execution. But if you have a [netsend] to talk to a java app and a
>> [netreceive] to receive the replies, ... a [netsend]/[netreceive] pair
>> counts as a kind of [delay] of some unspecified amount.
> i  didnt get this part:::-->

Have you learned the execution order of Pd? But this topic is only
relevant if the java app needs to talk back to Pd.

> i think you guys will be best to judge if i explain my application: I
> have to run pd+gridflow and then run the program multiblob-for-gridflow.
> then take the data(centres of the crosses obtained, extent of blob and
> other data) to a java application(whose purpose is to collect this data
> from pd .) The java app is on teh same machine, so how do i use
> [netsend]?

Ok, [netsend] will be fine for that. You just have to know that you can't
use grid-messages over [netsend], so you will have to use converters such
as [#to_list] and [#to_float] and [#unpack] and such.