[PD] webcam in GEM on eeepc

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Aug 18 16:22:45 CEST 2009

Hallo,
Arif Driessen hat gesagt: // Arif Driessen wrote:
> I normally stick to the forums but I've come here because I fear this is
> going to be a little too in depth. (I shall post the answer to the forum
> afterwards however).
>
> I know the GEM developers have discussed this over here:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/gem-dev@iem.at/msg00098.html
>
> But I'm not a GEM developer! :)
>
> My issue is, [pix_video] won't see my camera under any conditions (in
> GNU/Linux), whilst mplayer tv:// in the terminal or the Cheese Webcam Booth
> are both very happy to. I simply don't know where to begin. But really
> really desire this feature (it's one of the main reasons i bought the eeepc
> 701)
>
> Running eeebuntu lxde beta 1 (a cut down ubuntu/debian)
>
> Is this a common problem? Are there some standard procedures to fixing this?
> like reinstalling certain packages? e.t.c.

I suppose your version of GEM doesn't support cameras with video2linux2 support.

One quick thing to try would be to "aptitude install libv4l" and then preload
the compatibility library for V4L1 apps by doing:

$ export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/vl1compat.so
$ pd -lib Gem

Otherwise try to get a Gem that supports v4l2, for example by recompiling it after
installing libv4l-dev, too.

Ciao
--
Frank