[PD] Hot inlet position

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Aug 20 17:09:44 CEST 2009

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, Gabriel Vinazza wrote:

> Miller, I enjoyed very much reading your note, thanks for sharing your
> achievements and concerns.  As an artist, I found lots of answers on Pd.
> Many of the things you seem to be worry about are clearly reflected on
> the software and all the community.

I hope as many people who read that paper can read it critically. Several
of the ideas contained therein are detrimental and harmful to the
perception and evolution of Pd/Max. Things like: Max isn't a "programming
environment", and even less a "real-world programming environment";
features are left out because Max users aren't professional programmers;
Max is "lacking any notion of linear control-flow" (whatever that
means???); Max doesn't have scoping because musicians don't need it; the
idea that object-oriented programming is all about inheritance; elegance
in code has nothing to do with making creative music; the computer-science
crowd preaches that reuse of code is essential to communicating knowledge;
Max somehow opposed itself to computer science; "The computer should
ideally feel in the musician's hands like a musical instrument, needing
only to be tuned up and then played" (!!!); etc... well I should put a
(!!!) after each of those phrases. If you need any justification from me
for any item(s) on this list I will provide it (if I did it all upfront,
it could be long like a paper).