[PD] Hot inlet position

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 19:17:05 CEST 2009

nice paper! just to add something to the discussion:
"In the best of circumstances the artists are around to remind us of
their needs, which often turn out quite different from what either of
us first imagined."
>From my point of view this stage where we have a discussion between
artists and programmers was eliminated at the moment when Pd was
perceived to be a programming language (which it somehow is) as
opposed to a computer music instrument.
Look at Pd as a programming language and artists using Pd to
program/build their instruments. Then, artists are doing this in their
function as programmers and not as musicians. The interchange between
artist and software writer/instrument builder has to take place in a
schizophrenic manner inside oneself. Otoh, this means that a lot of
the discussion we are seeing today about improvements or new features
are really discussions between two types of programmers: the ones that
write Pd, and the ones that write *with* or *in* Pd. This is really a
trap, because the original citation above does not take into account
that another type of programmer would pop up between the artist and
the software writer that just wants to improve features to use Pd as a
tool to build instruments. Needs on this level are somehow ignored
because they are no artistic needs. Otoh, this also built a wall/gap
between artists and core Pd developers, because artists nowadays
mostly talk to people who use Pd as a programming language unless even
more people admit to wear more than one hat.
best, marius.