[PD] call for translations for new Pd GUI

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Aug 20 19:58:23 CEST 2009

On Aug 20, 2009, at 11:38 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Aug 2009, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> Just to make sure there is a perfectly clean copyright status on
>> these files, I removed anything with an unclear copyright, and
>> generated some new locales based on public domain files.
>
> I don't think there's any real problem with you using translations
> from DesireData, if only you honour the names of the translators.
>
> It depends on your ambitions though. If you decide to limit yourself
> to words that are the same in any software, then it doesn't matter,
> but if you want translation for Pd-specific things, then it would
> make sense to make use of DesireData's translations. There's a
> difference between translating 50 words and translating 500 phrases.
> What I made the translators do, is to translate 500 phrases.

Exactly!  We need real translations like the ones that Federico and
Ben did, what I've put up are just placeholders.  Plus it is fun to
see Hindi, Gujarati, etc. in Pd.  The copyright should be clear so we
don't have to deal with it later.

I hate it when they say, "He gave his life for his country."  Nobody
gives their life for anything.  We steal the lives of these kids.  -
Admiral Gene LeRocque