[PD] Hot inlet position

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Aug 20 20:55:18 CEST 2009

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> I think jmax phoenix has scoping.

That's not what I was alluding to. It was about this part of the paper:

   This decision was made to remove a layer of complexity that didn't seem
   to be strictly necessary in the context of computer music production, in
   order to make Max as accessible as possible to people who aren't
   professional computer programmers.

scoping did not happen, because Pd doesn't need local variables. Local
variables are not needed because named variables aren't particularly
needed either. Named variables are not needed because cold inlets act as
unnamed variables. After that much of a reduction of the need for local
scoping, you have a situation in which the reasons against local scoping
have a lot more relative weight...!

about jMax... I don't think we should bother talking again about jMax...
but I'm not going to prevent people from summoning the dead.

> Does DesireData?

On pd-list and/or pd-dev, I wrote some proposals about how the
local-scoping could be. I don't recall getting feedback. Those ideas
haven't been really integrated in the plans of DesireData. Depends on
what's considered wrong with the current fake-local solutions. If it's
mostly a matter of symbol pollution, then a plan to make symbols
"biodegradable" would go a long way. I have a quite detailed plan about
this, ... but it's just a plan. I mean it's a good plan, but it's not an
implementation.

Fake-local scope like we have with $0-foo isn't necessarily wrong. It's
not any more wrong than current namespacing solutions (which also use
symbol concatenation from start to end). Ideally I'd rather have it not
use actual concatenation, for various reasons, but I wouldn't bother
with a change that isn't well-enough integrated with the existing pd
and the existing uses of pd.

> What's the status of DesireData these days, anyway?

Officially resumed, but semi-on-hold. I'm trying to "institutionalise" it
a little bit so that I have more of an incentive to work on it steadily.

> It looks like the roadmap hasn't been updated for quite a while.

What roadmap?... There wasn't an actual thing named "roadmap" until this
spring, when I started trying to sort out items in the TODO list by
priority... but it's very long to do so... especially when one thinks it's
a good idea to take the time reserved on the roadmap, to actually try to
fix bugs listed in the TODO, just so that they don't have to be listed in
the roadmap. ;) (I did that).

Anyway... I will finally be able to say that there's an official roadmap
soon, in the end.