[PD] Hot inlet position

Matt Barber brbrofsvl at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 23:10:29 CEST 2009

> And if "ideally" Pd should be just a "musical instrument" that you only
> have to "tune and play", it's only to go with those musicians who ideally
> should understand the breadth and depth of Pd's potential, but in practice
> don't.

Thanks so much for saying this.  Think of the kind of acquired skill
one needs to expertly "tune and play," say, a violin, with mastery.
The problem is how the phrase "just a musical instrument" is used --
if you can justify spending years learning scales so that you can play
in tune and develop technical facility, learning how sound works so
you can adjust the instrument, learning how music works so you can
play it intelligently, learning how others before you came to master
their instrument and how to develop critical opinions about their
playing, etc., certainly you can justify the same kind of intense work
for any "instrument" (electronic/acoustic/programmed/otherwise) if you
care to become competent.

Matt

PS -- I expect my wife to wonder just what tons of emails about "hot
inlet position" are doing in my inbox... =o)