[PD] call for translations for new Pd GUI
hans at at.or.at
Fri Aug 21 20:37:03 CEST 2009
Thanks for that, just checked it in. Right now I want to get
different translations of for testing the charset issues. There will
be a longer template soon, once the audio/midi/startup/paths
preferences panels are added to the template.
On Aug 21, 2009, at 12:03 PM, András Murányi wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I've attached a preliminary Hungarian translation. Pd internal terms
> (Array etc) are left untouched.
> I would be happy to continue with a longer template, if any.
> Muranyi Andras
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 4:03 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
> On Aug 19, 2009, at 3:02 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Aug 2009, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> As for the license, I think we should just put them in the public
> domain since it seems too much of a headache to manage the license
> on them, or make it the same license as Pd.
> Those 17 language files are derivative works from the 17
> translations of DesireData, which involved about 20 authors. You
> can't put other people's work in the public domain. You can't fail
> to credit them either.
> ... and I mean you actually removed all credits from the translation
> files when you migrated everything to msgcat. Why would that be?
> Any .po editor will automatically add the credits to the .po file
> once people edit the files.
> I got these words from a number of sources, mostly DesireData but
> also .po files from other projects. These are much smaller than the
> DD files since the Pd text differs quite a bit. The DD credits were
> in the original pd-devel .msg files since they were just copied
> over, then edited. In the process of being converted to pd-devel
> and back and forth from .msg -> .po -> .msg, the credits and most of
> the old contents didn't get included. The credits from the DD files
> were not included since they weren't in a standard format and I was
> using the gettext tools. Feel free to add credits to the .po files
> and commit them (the .msg files are automatically generated from
> the .po files). Then all the gettext tools and .po editors will
> keep them.
> Right now, what's included is not a lot, like 30-50 words per
> translation. Those 30-50 words that are the most common software
> words like File, Edit, Window, Open, Save, Cut, Copy, Paste,
> Properties, Close, Help, etc. You can't claim copyright on
> translating those words, since there are thousands of other copies
> of the exact same thing in other apps. You can claim copyright on a
> complete translation, that's why I started the conversation now.
> I forgot to add one detail, how to make a new translation:
> 1) Start with the template file:
> 2) rename it to your locale, using the language and maybe country
> - Bulgarian has only one locale, so the file would be bg.po
> - Chinese differs based on country, so it could be zh_CN.po,
> zh_HK.po, or zh_TW.po
> 3) the file most be encoded using UTF-8
> To run Pd-devel with your translation:
> 1) svn co https://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pure-data/branches/pd-devel/0.41.4
> 2) stick your .po into 0.41.4/po/
> 3) cd 0.41.4/src/locale
> 4) ./generate-msg.sh (you'll need to have gettext installed)
> 5) cd ../.. (i.e. back in the root folder of the source, 0.41.4)
> 6) ./autogen.sh && .configure && make
> Now to force it to run using a specific locale, do this on the
> 1) export LANG=en_CA
> 2) cd 0.41.4/src
> 3) ./pd
"[T]he greatest purveyor of violence in the world today [is] my own
government." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Pd-list