[PD] call for translations for new Pd GUI

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri Aug 21 20:48:18 CEST 2009

On Aug 21, 2009, at 10:25 AM, George Ker wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans <at> at.or.at> writes:
>

>> So, now's a good time to start contributing.  Fix up the languages
>> that are there, or add more languages or even country-specific
>> versions of a language.  Here are the files:
>> http://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pure-data/branches/pd-devel/0.41.4/po/
>
> Hello to all,
>         I'm a PD beginner living in Greece. I saw your "call for
> translations"
> and was interested
> in helping translating the app for the Greek language. I'm now a pd-
> list
> member because of this call. So, I have allready translated
> in Poedit and LocFactory Editor (as recommended)
> all the template from SourceForge.
>  I have some problems that your guidance would be appreciated,
> because it's my FIRST attempt in something like that.

Welcome!

> 	 -The first one is what I should do with "PureData language specific"
> terms.
> I recommend for terms like: Object, Atom Box, Symbol, Bang, Slider,
> Patch etc that no Greek translation should be done. Yes, of course
> I know what an "Object" means , and "Atom Box" could easily be
> translated, but wouldn't it be a drawback for users? Even
> for me, the translator of the app would be confusing if all
> tutorials / help patches/ lists were using them... and then
> I had to face with terms: Object, Slider, Patch, DSP
> etc translated in Greek language in my installed App!
> I asked a friend of mine and he wouldn't use the translated
> app either! I find it like translating the MIDI acronyms.
> Too ugly and scary...
>  As a conclusion, I left some terms as they are. I want
>  your opinion.

There has been lots of debate on that topic.  I think it really
depends on what people think will make the most sense in that language.

> 	 -The second problem is that nowhere in Poedit is
> mentioned my contribution :| . The only thing shown is
> something about "last translator" in LocFactory Editor.
> I don't mind about the licence but wouldn't it be right for
> me to impress girls in my college more easily after
> my work in translation of the PD app????

I think you have to set up your information in the preferences, but I
don't know anything beyond that.

> 	-The third problem is: when I' m completely finished,
> where I should upload the .po file and how?

Post it to the list here, and someone with SVN commit access can add it.

> 	-The last and more serious problem is that I can't
> test my gr.po file. Everything needs to be done with
> sudo to run and be installed properly and when I reach
> the commands from your guide:
> 		$ ./autogen.sh && .configure && make
>
> there are some errors in the terminal:
> 		rm: src/config*: No such file or directory
> 		rm: src/makefile*: No such file or directory
> 		./autogen.sh: line 13: libtoolize: command not found

> I think no problems were in the gettext installation.
> I' m on an intel Macbook Pro 2008, with MacOSX Leopard.

You need to install GNU libtool.  Using Fink is the way that the Mac
OS X builds of Pd use. http://finkproject.org.  Or really, I should
make a build system that doesn't need libtool... coming soon.

.hc