[PD] call for translations for new Pd GUI

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Aug 21 22:25:48 CEST 2009

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009, András Murányi wrote:

> ;o) yes first of all "ordinateur"... it's great how French are keeping
> their language alive and independent,

It depends: there are essentially two large mother-language French areas
in the world, the European one, and the North-American one, and one big
linguistic clash between the two, is how they accept English words into
French. They don't agree at all on what to allow from English. The
Académie is permissive about English in a society that is permissive about
English, and the Office (www.olf.gouv.qc.ca) tends to repress English and
coin new words, in a society that knows itself to be too permissive about
English.

eventually to plain «arrêt» signs, even though all French dictionaries
by the signs know the word «stop» already. However, European French words
North-American French, where they won't replace the thoroughly-established

> all terms (except the infamous Bang...) to Hungarian but then I thought
> it's just no go because most of Pd will still be English and element
> names will forever remain english as well as most of the help files,
> tutorials, abstractions etc... So what i did was that i have discarded
> my Hungarian translations and left the English ones for these.

That's what is called a Catch-22. If you don't take a good breath and
dive, you won't get to the other side.

> It's like, if a box is labeled "Emergency Survival Kit" the instructions
> should not tell people to look for the box called "Vészhelyzeti Túlélÿÿ
> Csomag" as they might never find it 8-) It has nothing to do with the
> American Empire! ;o)

No, it has to do with both the Catch-22 and the American Empire.

It's a deadlock you won't get out of until you handle both halves of the
problem at the same time. You can't run your patch either, if you rename a
receive-symbol but don't rename the corresponding send-symbol at once ;)
it's a fact of life.