[PD] "audio I/O stuck... closing audio" error message

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Aug 24 12:17:05 CEST 2009

Yu Lao wrote:
> I'm trying to run Pd on a Linux distribution based on Debian (AVLinux).
>
> My audio hardware (RME) has ALSA drivers and seems to work but I'm unable to
> test it - there is no sound from any application, selecting ALSA or Jack
> doesn't improve the situation..

"RME" is a bit vague.
which hardware are you using?
for multi/digiface you will have to load a (special?) firmware to the
device before you can use it.

> Jack runs fine, I can see Pd and the system, connect them and everything
> looks good except that in the instant that I select Jack as audio device for
> Pd the canvas displays this error message.

which one?

just for the sake of full understanding:
- why do you assume that audio-hardware and alsa drivers seem towork
when you are not able to playback from any application?
- why do you assume that jack runs fine, when it doesn't work?

oh, and a common pitfall: most RME devices hae a DSP-mixer on port,
which is muted by default.
(install and) start hdspmixer (if you have this card), this should most
likely do the trick (make sure that the gains of the output matrix are
set to something meaningful)

fmgasdr
IOhannes