[PD] "audio I/O stuck... closing audio" error message

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Aug 24 13:40:56 CEST 2009

please always include the mailinglist (unless your reply is offensive or
of other private nature)

Yu Lao wrote:

> Multiface, I was unaware about a special firmware update. Thanks I will try
> to find it

[...]

>> just for the sake of full understanding:
>> - why do you assume that audio-hardware and alsa drivers seem towork when
>> you are not able to playback from any application?
>

> if the interface is not working there is a red blinking light on it. That's
> how I know when the Win driver gets corrupted once a year or so.

if the red light stops blinking when you boot into linux, then it has
successfully loaded the needed firmware.
so i assume that this isn't a problem here

>> - why do you assume that jack runs fine, when it doesn't work?
>

> because it says "running" after I press start" and it displays a CPU load.

well, if i understand correctly, Pd (or anything else) using alsa says
"running" as well (at least it doesn't show any problems) and it still
"doesn't work".

>> oh, and a common pitfall: most RME devices hae a DSP-mixer on port, which
>> is muted by default.
>> (install and) start hdspmixer (if you have this card), this should most
>> likely do the trick (make sure that the gains of the output matrix are set
>> to something meaningful)
>

> Thanks for the hint, I will have a look into the mixer.

i'm pretty sure that this is the problem...

msdft
IOhannes